I started this afghan during our summer vacation. My intention was to make the Burberry inspired blanket, but then I realized that I had the wrong color of the yarn that I brought, Forntuately I had brought some random yarn that I could use for minor projects if I got tired to make baby blanket. So, I started making squares, not really knowing what to make from them in the end.
I started with the blue-turquoise scale and I was thinking that I was going to make a Mediterranean blanket. But, when I came home I continued with the yellow-red-scale of yarn and the , my son came along and asked if I was making him the rainbow afghan that he had been asking for. Not really - but since it was a good idea I decided to go with it. So. I ended up with 14 colors all in all, with 9 squares each, since that was what I was able to get out of each ball of yarn. This left me with a afghan that is something like 105x160cm. A very generous afghan that easily fits two kids underneath.
I decided to go with the Svarta Fåret "Tilda", and 50-50 Acrylic Cotton mix. It makes a warm afghan that still let air come through so that it is possible to use during summer as well. Also, since it is a cotton/acrylic-mix it is washable, something that could come in handy when you make a blanket for kids.
Most of the time I try to crochet the squares together, but this time I aimed for sewing instead. I still had a million threads to fasten, and I really didn't want any more threads than necessary.
I find making afghans is very rewarding. As I get thrilled about every little square I make I tend to forget that I in the end will have made 120 something squares. This is probably why I made four afghans during the last year.