Monday, 24 September 2012

Underwear for boys and girls!

I have an issue with mass producing. On one hand I hate it, I hate doing the same thing over and over again. On the other hand I will keep on making the same thing until I have really mastered it. Or until I run out of material. But in this case the last one won't be a problem. I don't know how many fabrics I have bought 1 meter from (or 1 yard) to make ONE shirt for my son or daughter. This requires 60 cm of fabric, which leaves me with a pile of 40 cm fabrics... Either I need to start to make baby clothes, or something else that is small. So underwear it is!

I tried out a couple of pair of panties for my daughter. And realized that she like my panties better than the store bought ones. Probably because my fabric is slightly heavier than most shops use. And my model is more "granny style" than most shops use. This means that even if you are doing summersaults or climbing trees the panties will still have a perfect fit to your bottom and don't cut in...

Then of course.. my son was asking why he had to use the store bought ones... So. I ripped a couple of his briefs and turned a couple of others inside out to figure out why they are constructed in certain ways. And then I looked at my panties pattern and started making a pattern for briefs. These needed extra fabric in the front instead of in the crotch as in panties, and they also have a lower cut. I used matte foldover elastics around the legs for the boys version, and shiny for the girls. Otherwise the patterns are VERY much the same...


If you want to sprouce up your underwear drawer - head over to my shop and stock up!