Monday, 23 May 2011

Recycling for summer

I came across this table cloth. It hat a few stains on it, but since it was square and pretty large I thought I would be able to cut around the stains and still make something out of it. I was thinking a peasant dress or perhaps a skirt. After some measurements I decided to cut a peasant blouse. I started sewing and realized that it would probably be very pretty, but also fairly meek. So I thought I might add a seam binding around the waist, to give it an empire cut. I made one like that a while ago, and we both really like it.

Better. Definitely better. But, now it looks a little empty on the top. So I decide to do the same kind of solution as the empire cut for the arms. First a roll hem around the outer part of the arms and then the seam binding and some elastics. I decided to go just with a regular fold around the neckline, although I did consider doing the same thing as for the arms, but with the empire cut that might have been a little bit to much...

Ok. It's better… But still perfect. Now what? Just add the green seam binding in the bottom as well? Or, could I do it like the one that I saw the other day that had multiple layers in the skirt? So, I start looking through the fabrics and come up with the dark green gingham fabric and this lime green stripy one with little daisies on. Since I couldn't decide I went with both of them to give the skirt an even fuller look. The lower tier is slightly gathered and the upper tier is bias cut. I finished off both tiers with roll hem, and the bias cut one actually got almost a little wavy frill. I will try to remember to use that effect some other place. I think it would be possible to give it even more frills. To avoid a scratching seam on the inside, I decided to go with one of the embroidery seams on the machine and stitch down the seam,

When I bought this fabric I had my daughter in mind. She looks very pretty in spring green, baby pink and turquoise. After I cut the dress out and showed it to her I asked if she wanted it. "Naaaah. You can sell that!" Spoiled kid, eh? But I have to agree, it wasn't that interesting. When I showed it to her yesterday and asked her if she wanted it, she immediately jumped to her feet and run to me and hugged the dress.

I realize that this type of dress require a slightly different way of work flow, which this time lead to that I had to rip quite a few seams. But the next one will probably be quicker. I am not sure if I should add them to the shop? What do you think? Since they require much more work than a regular peasant dress I would need to raise my prices. But, on the other hand, there is always a market for special occasion dresses, don't you think?

6 comments:

Thea said...

Å vad den var söt!!
Nublev jag sååå inspirerad! Älskar att den går i gröna toner också; det är så fint till sommaren.

Rita alias alatvian said...

Lovely dress! Thank you so much for sharing the process!
Have no idea about adding it to your shop, as I don't have little girls any more and can't afford any hand made things in general.
Maybe you could make a couple and see, if they sell.
Hope you make the right decision!

aegeansea said...

Very sweet dress! And perfect for summer! Try one & see how it goes.

Wezz said...

Love how you described the process of "The Making Of" this dress! The end result certainly doesn't look cheap, so I would definitely give it a go in your shop! Just see how it works out.

Nucki for Kids said...

Hallochen, danke für deinen lieben Kommentar. War heute mal bei dir hier spazieren.Toll!

GLG Beate

Hello said...

Åh, så fint det blev med fållen!

Den "volangiga" fållen heter "lettuce hem" på min maskin. Du kan förstärka ytterligare genom att höja diffmatningen till högst och "hålla emot" lite när du syr. Funkar på trikå och när man klippt ut vävda tyger på skrådden. Instruktionen för "lettuce hem" är att ställa in för rullfåll, höja diffen till högsta och öka bredden på sömmen lite.