Tuesday, 19 April 2011

New model - combi tunic

I decided to try on a new model a while ago. It started with a picture in a magazine and kinda growed from there. I will tell you a little about the tunic in a few rows, but first I want to tell you something that, when it happened seemed like a small thing, but as years go by, I really think about it. It was in 8:th grade or so. We had arts class. And we were supposed to draw a book cover. I draw a girl from behind with suitcases, walking on a road towards a city profile in the middle of the setting sun. We were supposed to use crayons, but when I was supposed to draw the city skyline I changed into a pencil or touche or something. I wanted the profile to be really sharp, and I could not archieve that with the crayons. Later that semester when our parents were allowed to come to school to talk with all the teacher. My arts teacher had brought that very picture as an excellent example of creativity. He said that it was very unusual for students to change media within the same drawing, and said something about courage and so... I was a bit confused. Courage? I just had to change media to be able to archieve the effect I wanted. Now. Something like 20+ years later I think about that. This is very often how my creativity works. I want to archieve something. A feeling. An effect. Something like that. And I am willing to use one or several medias to be able to reach that. Some might think that that is odd, that you would need courage to mix knitting with paper, clay with pine cones or two kinds of very different fabric. But I don't see it that way. I just do what I need to do to obtain the right feeling, or effect. Okay. Back to the tunic. It has an upper bodice and slightly puffed sleeves in velour. And skirt in regular cotton knit. In this case the skirt is made from an old wrap dress that I bought for 10 SEK/$1.50 which is a real bargain here in Sweden, where second hand can be 10x that in price, even for well worn standard pieces from H&M. I cut up the skirt form the wrap dress, and I have actually used the upper part of that dress to make a similar top for myself, I hope I will be able to catch that on picture some day. The sleeves and the neckline has a trim made out of elastic lace, that sometimes can be seen as trims on underwear. The skirt has a frilly hem, that goes well with the small flowers in the off white fabric. And, as it happens the red flowers on the skirt EXACTLY matches the color of the raspberry red velour. I have made two more of these tunics for my daughter, but somehow I am never able to catch them on picture, especially not in clean state, or daughter in a good mood. On these pictures she has a bad-hair-day, but at least she's smiling.... I intend to make more of this model and add them into the shop, eventually. But now with the warmer season coming up here in Sweden I might start making them in only cotton knits. We'll see...

1 comment:

tunic said...

This one is very nice and excellent information of tunics.I like this fabric and combi tunics top.It is great design and patterns of tunics tops.