Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Baby boom - 6 jumper dresses!



I don't know if it is the spring time or if it is the fact that there seem to be a baby boom running in the office right now. But, I suddenly got an urge to make baby dresses. This was the first size I ever made of this dress and I draw it from scratch and I have adjusted the pattern ever since. It still is one of my favorite models of dress, and I still get very happy from making them.




This time I decided to use some vintage fabrics with known characters. Moomin, Emil & Ida(from the Astrid Lindgren book) and Dunderklumpen from a Swedish childrens moovie back in the 1970's. It's a true joy to work with these fabrics. The feeling of using something that was made long time ago, that still has such excellent quality that it isn't falling apart - well, that's why I love to recycle. I still remember when my son had his "Thomas the Tank Engine" phase and could watch those films over and over again. Play with the train. The look on his face when he got a t-shirt that I bought from eBay UK! Oooooh! Priceless. And that t-shirt turned into one of his favourite shirts ever. I have folded it neetly and have it in a little box for safe keeping until he gets old enough to understand why I kept it.




Oh. I am getting all mouchy here. Anyway.When a friend of mine was pregnant with her first daughter she had a phase when she bought all kinds of books that she remembered reading when she was a child, buying similar toys that she had played with. It was some kind of nostalic phase that at the time seemed very odd to me. But, a few years later when I was pregnant with our son, I had the same phase… I guess it has something to do with hormones. So, for all of you preggies out there that having that phase right now and that know that you are having a daughter - well this is for you!



I made another recycled dress too. This is from a very retro table cloth that had a nasty stain in the middle which definitly would prevent most people from using it. So I cut it up and managed to make the cutest little hippie dress! I think I might be able to cut a very small matching bonnet or possibly an even smaller sized dress from the remaining parts….





The last one is from fabric I bought a while ago. Organic cotton with Dala horse prints in pink, hot pink and gray. Very traditional pattern and still in a brand new way. I got this fabric in baby blue as well, so there might be more of thse Dala horse dresses coming up. If you need it in another size, just send me an email and I will see what I can do about it….

And for those that had an "A" in maths, you only find 5 dresses here.... Well. There were two Moomin dresses, and since all of my dresses are available in my Shop you will be able to see i there!

No comments: