Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Leftover blanket

I had all these little leftover pieces from making beanies. So I decided to make a leftover blanket. But I didn't want to use granny squares since there are so many threads that has to be fastened. So I decided on this little square instead. The original square was made from a thicker yarn and a size 5,5mm hook, and measured 21x21cm, but fore these I use a 3,5mm hook so these are a mere 10x10cm (4x4in). So, to even get a baby blanket I would need something like a 100 squares. And to have that luxurious sofa-blanket I would probably need 200. I counted this morning. 37. Why do I start these projects???
Well. Here's a few reasons. It is SUPERSOFT. Really cuddly. And sure a good way to use lefterovers (although I have to admit that I need to buy more yarn to be able to finish it). And my daughter is already carrying it around whenever I am not working on it.

That is one of the pros for making a blanket from squares. You can do most of the square with just a tiny ball of yarn and a hook. And then save it to crochet it into the blanket when you find the time. So. I usually carry yarn and and a hook in my purse, which actually gives me plenty of opportunities to craft. You would not believe how many times of the day you are just sitting around waiting for something...

Also. Making squares seems to go with my psyche. Knitting an entire sweater will most probably make me loose interest somewhere halfway through the back. It takes forever to finish it!

Well dooooh! A blanket would probably take even longer, but since I finish off each little square it doesn't feel that bad. But, the next blanket I make I will definitely use a larger hook for. Perhaps something in turquoise and purple??

5 comments:

ikketikketheo said...

Oh yes I´m with you. I´ve been fastening grannys for over a year now (well with many breaks ;)) and there´s no end. Never ever again a blanket of squares. But the result looks good... like yours :)

zsazsazsu said...

Here there was a fight when my granny squares was finished ... whom would get it ! So pls continue it's such a nice project.
It looks great up to now already

Gryda said...

Dette blir jo veldig fint, og helt sikkert verdt innsatsen når det er ferdig!

willow and moo said...

Kaja, those squares are so nice. The blanket will be gorgeous.

Hello said...

Verkligen fina rutor! Personligen skulle jag bli mer galen av att sy ihop dessa än av att fästa trådar på mormorsrutorna, men jag gör ju inga såna heller... ;) Jag förstår E, den ser supermysig ut!