Thursday, 4 November 2010

Shoe covers!

I don't know about you, but where we live things tend to get kinda wet these times of the years. If you come to the dentist you get to wear these horrible blue plastic shoe covers. This way you can keep your shoes on, and still keep a tidy floor.

But, even for kindergarten or school it might be practical. And at home. How many times are you fully dressed only to realize that you have forgotten the keys on the kitchen table??
I made these out of old oilcloth and used a silicon elastics to keep them together. My first batch of these had regular elastics and they were pretty hard to get over your boots. So I was thinking of what to use.... And then I saw a pile of silicon elastics. I had bought them from a coop, and I thought that it was regular, but it was the ones that you use to make cloth diapers from. So, what to do with a 100 meters of silicon elastics that you have to tie a knot to make a circle from. Hm. Not an easy thing as I don't want knots in the neckline for dresses. But for these the silicon elastics turned out just perfect. It is superstretchy, and where your ankles are really don't matter...

So silicon elastics and an ex-oil-table cloth, and that keeps your home tidy! Recycling and making things prettier. What a great way to start your day!

5 comments:

Hawk and Weasel said...

Amazingly ambitious! And very nice fabric.

ingermaaike said...

Highly practical indeed! Now just teach my dogs and cats to put them on too....

Mami Made It said...

Great idea!

Colours and Textures said...

What a good idea!

Ompsinpompsin said...

Excellent idea! I have been planning to do these kind of shoe covers also because in our daycare those blue plastic ones are always broken or run out...(and I'm in a hurry and have no time to take my shoes off...)