Thursday, 19 August 2010

Concrete projects

I'm back from my vacation and I have almost managed not to touch the sewing machine during the summer. This is partly because we are rebuilding the house and that my hubby tore down the stairs to be able to open up between the new rooms and the old house. And really, this time of the year I am not that desperate after my sewing machines so that I take upp wall climbing just to reach it.
Instead I have been crocheting. In the car, in front of the tv, or even out in the garden. I have also acquired a couple of "house wife points" by making my own blue berry jam, pickling cucumbers and baking zucchini cake and cinnamon rolls.

Last week I had a large concrete project going on. Together with a friend I now have "shared custody" for a couple of latex concrete molds (you can see the result on the last picture). The outcome is absolutely fantastic. I am not sure if it is visible, but all the details are amazing! You can see the fur on the squirrel and the details of the feather of the blue tit.
Some of my molds, like this gecko and turtle, and the hearts above are intended for plaster or soaps, but it turned out to work just as well with concrete.

On the first picture I have used milk boxes and empty ice cream boxes to make candle holders and bowls for decoration. I bought a sack of armed concrete (Swedish: armerad betong eller flytspackel), which costed me like $10 (60-70 kronor eller så), and I made all these things from that bag, and I still have a material for one more round. So, if they break due to children carrying around that cute angel or petting the squirrel... well... then I will have an opportunity to do it again...

And yes. It is REALLY fun, pretty messy, and very addicting...

9 comments:

BOB & MABEL said...

I love the candle holders and bowls, they look fantastic!

L'Accent Nou - creative projects said...

Yay, it looks great! Love the sparrow and the frog especially! :)

Nancy van den Boom said...

It's lovely! You are so creative!

donauluft said...

great idea, very animating to try that too! love the bowl!

LeelaBijou said...

Pretty cool! Nice job :)

Lucie said...

I like the bowl very much!

Rita alias alatvian said...

Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

Nicole said...

Now that would be really, really cool! I think I'm really envious.

BARBARIX said...

wow great idea!