Thursday, 20 May 2010

And then came summer....

We've had a very long winter. And April and May hasn't been much to brag about. REALLY cold. Most of the days the kids have been wearing their winter jackets to kindergarten, most days we've had like +7C/45F. And then all of a sudden: IT'S SUMMER!

My car thermometer showed +26C/79F when I was driving home from work. And those pants and longsleeved shirts that I had forced my kids to wear this morning suddenly seemed very inappropriate. So, I went to the "summer box" in the wardrobe and found some shorts for my son, and my daughter suddenly got an excellent excuse of wearing her brand new summer dress. I haven't even had time to tag it with my labels yet...

It was supposed to be a raglan cut shirt in a new model with elastics around the neck and arms. And then when I tried it on for measurements my daughter started to wrap the rest of the fabric around her hips. So I simply made a gathering from that fabric and added a shirt, with a frilly hem. I am still not sure if I should have used a couple of other fabrics to make it a sort of 3-tier skirt, but my daughter likes it as it is, and she's the expert!

The fabric is a cotton knit fabric, perhaps with a little lycra in it. I got it from the "bargain basket" at one of the local fabric shops. It's turquoise, lime green, baby pink and hot pink. And just girly enough to appeal to a girl in the princess age, and still neutral enough to balance up that pink-red-purple mixture in the rest of the wardrobe.

All pictures from our garden today. On the swing, on the little path leading over to our neighbour, and playing with a dandelion.

2 comments:

ikketikketheo said...

Bra att ni har sommar. Här är det november fortfarande :(

Hello said...

Det blev en jättefin klänning! Jag tycker det räcker bra med ett tyg, jag :)