Thursday, 8 April 2010

Sweet as candy!

Yes. Everybody is making them right now, but the first one I saw was in Hello's blog. We traded with her in December and I really like this model. So, I made my own version of it. A new pattern for me, which has a slimmer fit than my regular peasant style dresses, and this one is shorter, a tunic. And then just double ribbing from the wrists up to the elbow. Easy-peasy!

I've always liked these peasant style dresses/shirts with elastics around the neckline, so comfortable and practical for little girls that wants to dress themselves. But I never really made friends with making the canal for the elastics to run through on knit fabrics. I don't know why, because now I've gotten the hang of it, and it's not that hard. Just another way of making it from woven fabrics.

I still hope to be able to make a pattern in my own size for these tunics. They will be perfect to wear in the summer, and very forgiving. Yes, because heading against the big 40's and giving birth to two kids, and going through massive surgery last year has worked wonders with my body. And I don't mean this in a positive way!
The striped fabric is from Tygaffären. And at first I just intended to make this dress with a puff sleeve for lovely summer days. But, then I came across the JNY Interlock which just happened to be the EXACT match to the hot pink stripe. I call it destiny, so I changed my mind. I will probably make another one with shorter sleeves too though, I do hope that this summer will be a slight improvement from last years raining and +15C/60F.

5 comments:

Pedora said...

Very nice. I really like the way you made the sleeves. Ypu make really nice clothes!

Ravenhill said...

Your daughter is adorable and I love the top you made her!

Fia said...

So nice! I haven´t dared to make a dress or tunic with that kind of sleeve since my youngest doesn´t like when it´s too tight...I wonder what I can do to change her mind...? Make a super-pink one? Hm...

Your tunic is lovely as usual. I so admire that you manage to find time to sew so much!

I have realized that empirewaist cutting is v e r y nice...as long as the skirt isn´t too wide (in that case you will feel pregnant again...) I took a look in the mirror today..and thank god it isn´t summer yet...

Have a nice day!

(and yes, I know I can use Swedish, but I thought I´d practise my English...)

Hello said...

Så fin hon blev! Härligt vårigt tyg!

MESC said...

Jättesnygg tunika! Jag kan inte annt än att hålla med, när det gätter dina funderingar kring det där med barnafödande, ålder osv, vilka spår det lämnar efter sig, kroppsliga alltså! Jag tänker så här, "att jag får väl bada i vassen i stället, den här sommaren" Ett yttryck min jobbarkompis kör med, när karaktären sviktar, och det har jag tagit fasta på!
Jag har kollat runt länge på din blogg, men aldrig lämnat något avtryck. Jag är MYCKET imponerad av vad du syr, gillar dina alster skarpt!