Thursday, 7 January 2010

Neckwarmers - in triple!

Just before Christmas I started making a scarf from this really soft and fluffy grey yarn (Nimbus from Zitron) for my sister in law. Well, as it turned out, I didn't have enough yarn, and probably made it a bit wide. So, when I was finished it was only about a meter long (litte bit more than a yard), and that is not enough for a scarf. At least not a fluffy one.

So I thought about making a lace trim. Or perhaps buying some more yarn, but after visiting two stores, who both were out of that particular color I decided to unravel parts of the things I've knitted and sewing it together to make it a neckwarmer instead. And, then when my sister in law tried it on, we realized that it really should have been a little tighter. So, I unraveled it again, and started all over. Now it became the perfect neckwarmer. Knit 3, purl 3, and just keep on going on pins number 5,0mm. Very easy.


When I was scouting for more yarn I saw some other yarn, also pure wool, and definitely non-itching. My son decided on the green-purple-blue-brown-orange-pink one and my daughter wished for the white-pink-purple-grey one. And, when we went skiing there was a 6 hour drive by car, and some nights when you can't bring your serger into the apartment… So. I decided to start making a neckwarmer for my son first. He has been a bit neglected this autumn. Mainly due to the fact that my daughter outgrew all her clothes, and my son still could wear his. Now he need a new size, so I just bought a HUGE pile of fabric just for him! More about that later. Well. It knitted up pretty fast, despite small-ish needles (4,0mm) and by the second day when his balaklava (absolute necessity when it is so cold!) was a bit wet I decided to see if a beanie, helmet (and googles) and this neckwarmer would work. And it did. Actually better than the micro fleece balaclava.


Then I started on my third one for my daughter. I did't manage to finish this one when we were skiing, but I really loooove this yarn. Supersoft. I will probably buy more from this, but in other colors. It's a Merino Superwash, and I used needles 4.0mm on this one too. And here she is, posing with how to wear it. You might recognize the cat dress.

3 comments:

ikketikketheo said...

They look sooo cosy!! I want to try Merino as well :)

Hello said...

Åh, så härliga de ser ut! Jag har precis fått merinosilke i brevlådan och ska sticka halsvärmaren som var som mysteriestickning inför symässan i höstas. Det känns jätteskönt, men först ska jag laga garnvindan så jag kan nysta det... :)

Anna Skapar said...

Åh, jag har funderat på en sådan till barnen. Vad är det för mått (cm) på dina halsvärmare? Jag har ett supermjukt garn hemma som skulle passsa...