Saturday, 7 November 2009

November Challenge: Crocheted mittens with ruffle edge

My daughter is not a big fan of mittens. Especially not the ones that you can buy. Really fancy (and expensive ones) made of goretex that are warm and will keep your fingers dry. I think it they are to bulky to her, she can't use her hands the way that she wants to, so she takes them off instead.

Last year a made her brother a couple of crocheted mittens, and she loved them. So, I made her a couple of pairs of her own, and she wore them throughout the winter. As long as you got a pair or two to use when the first pair gets wet it is really a good option. And the wool makes them warm even if they are wet.

So. For this season I asked her what she wanted. And she wanted pink mittens (surprise!), so I decided to use my tushie mat technique and make them striped in a pale pink and a hot pink yarn. Since I never use any pattern it is always tricky to get the right size and get both mittens exactly the same, but actually the stripes made it easier for me to follow what I had done on the first mitten. It took forever to finish them, but if my princess wants woolen mittens she will have woolen mittens!!

When I was about done with them I decided to add this lettuce edge to them. She loved this ruffle, but the next time I make it I will use a few less stitches to make it a little softer. But all in all, it is not bad for being an experiment!

5 comments:

Anna-Snoddas said...

Jättesöta! :)

LumLum said...

Åh vilka söta vantar!

HanneLT said...

Søte og gode vanter :)

Maria said...

Så fina! Gillar den vågiga kanten till det randiga...

Hello said...

Nä, det är det verkligen inte! De är jättefina!