Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Tushie mat

My son is a member of the "Hedgehogs" at kindergarten. The Hedgehogs are all kids that are 5 years and will start school next year. It is a time for them to learn a few things before school and get to know eachother a little better. Each week they go to the nearby forrest for an excursion. They should bring something to sit on and a backpack.

That something to sit on has been a piece of purple plastic sleeping mat. Not very exciting... And I made a shawl two years ago from Lovikka yarn, which is a very thick yarn, and pretty itching too, so that shawl didn't turn out as cozy as I wanted it to. So I decided to make something from them. I crocheted them until they were about 47 cm/18,5in across and then I popped them in the washing machine. They didn't felt as good as I wanted them to, so after two rounds in the washing machine they were still 41 cm/16in. And looking VERY hairy.

I made two of them, one for my son, and one for my hubby. I have bought yarn to make one for my daughter and one for me too.

And the name, tushie mat?? Well. When my daughter saw them she called out. "Look mum, mats!". And you put your tushie on them, so touchie mat. In Swedish we call them "Rump-mattor", a pretty corny name, but everyone knows what you reffer to...

6 comments:

Kuutydruk said...

This is a super good idea!
I made a felted handbag few years ago of Novita Houpanen. It felts very well! You can try than too next time :)

ira said...

A very good idea indeed!

jealousydesign said...

En riktigt bra idé! Ser varma ut :)

creationsbyeve said...

lovely idea!

Emily said...

wonderfully soft and warm looking!

Vivi said...

What a great idea!