Thursday, 9 July 2009

Summer wardrobe for the kids

When it got really hot here last week I realized that my son REALLY needed a couple of new pairs of shorts. Since Sweden usually don't get very hot, only about 20-25 degrees Celsius in the summer (70-75F) most shorts that are available in the shops for boys are made of jeans. You would look very cool in a pair of jeans shorts, but also very sweaty when the temperatures is approaching and exceeding 30C/90F. And it is at times like theese I really appreciate that I can make my own clothes. The old shorts I made my son a couple of years ago mostly have Thomas the Tank Engine and so we needed an update on the motivs.
Here are three shorts of different lengths, but in the same style. One with spaceships and rockets, I think this was a japanese fabric. One pair with large numbers on it, since my son is very much into letters and numbers right now, and the last one that has really cool racing cars with flames on them.

Since my son got an update of his wardrobe yesterday, so did my daughter. The dresses from last summer were all getting very short.
This fabric is a vintage fabric from eBay. I remember that I paid a small fortune for it and ever since I have gotten the "scissors fobia" for it. You know, you paid so much money for it, so when you finally is cutting it you want the result to be PERFECT, and hence you are just waiting and waiting and waiting for the right opportunity. Well. Now it had been sitting on the shelf for a good 18 months (or more), so I figured it was about time to do something about it. Face your fears!! And. After all, it turned pretty well…



Since Sweden is home of Astrid Lindgren we do read, listen and watch her books. Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump) has been a favourite, but That Emil (Emil i Lönneberga) is just as popular here in Sweden. So, a while ago I found this lovely Emil & Ida fabric. Now was the brilliant opportunity to make that dress I have promised my daughter for two months... I usually don't mix fabric on these peasant style dresses, but after seeing a lot of beautiful ones, I really wanted to make something of my own. So, I used red gingham fabric, it seemed to be the most peasant style fabric I had to go with the other fabric.



My daughter has fallen for the peer preassure and has been pointing out all Hello Kitty items in the shops. So. I decided that she could at least have one dress with that cat. I actually made two, and offered my daughter the opportunity to choose. This was the one she preffered. I matched it with really short light green gingham sleeves and the same fabric as hem. I am not sure if the arms should have been longer, but if they should have been I can change that later on...



This is the other Hello Kitty dress, which is about a size 5 (110 cl) that I actually preffer of the both. This one has a dark pink sleeve and an elastic trim around the arms and neckline. And a cotton lace at the hem. This one will be out on Etsy.



8 comments:

roroism said...

lots of work! great results!
love the Moomin dress

Sigmosaics said...

lucky kiddies of yours to have such a clever mummy!! these are all absolutely GORGEOUS :) your sons shorts are so cool (love the one with the numbers on it especially) and I ADORE all of the dresses you've made for you rdaughter .. you have been a very busy little bee indeed :)

Rita from alatvian.etsy.com said...

Hoe lucky you kids are having a sewing momy!

HanneLT said...

Lots of lovely shorts and dresses! Now we can just to wait for more hot temperatures:)

ingermaaike said...

Lucky children they are getting such gorgeous handmade goodies!

Star of the East said...

Your kids are SO lucky :)!

metamorphosis said...

Kanonfina! Gillade verkligen hur du kombinerat figurmönstrat med rutigt!

Maria said...

Verkligen urgulliga klänningar, gillar dem massor!!